Thousands of eCommerce sites are popping up each day, and manufacturers and wholesalers are driving this growth by investing in software platforms and technology to give their buyers a better online experience. If your website isn’t attracting as many visitors as you’d like, then maybe it’s time to step up your game and try some new tactics to help it stand out from the crowd.
Attract with SEO
The first step in getting people to your site is by employing search engine optimization (SEO) best practices. SEO is the art of incorporating relevant keywords within your website to increase its placement in search results pages with search engines like Google and Bing. The more pages that search engines find related to a buyer’s search, the higher your website ranks in their results. And now, with Google’s Answer Box feature that provides an answer summary on its search engine results page (SERP), businesses can develop a strategy to better structure their content, which can help them land in this coveted spot and beat out the big brands.
Foolproof SEO tips:
- Expand your online content by including relevant keywords in all your page content, page titles and page URLs
- Incorporate more specific long-tail keywords and phrases which help bring higher conversions
- Avoid creating too many keywords on your site or Google will actually penalize you for overuse (aka keyword-stuffing)
- Take advantage of keyword tools to determine which keywords your buyers are using to look for your website or products
Dress (your site) to impress
Once you get people to your site, don’t scare them off with a cluttered, hard-to-navigate site. When it comes to a site’s interface and design, maintain clean-looking web pages that provide consistent branding with straightforward navigation and search. The easier it is to shop your site, the higher the probability buyers will transact there, too.
Foolproof site design tips:
- Use professional images and graphics that best represent your company
- Avoid busy backgrounds, disorganized content and spelling errors
- Make sure the content reflects each page header name
- Include calls to action and contact information on every page
Bring your products to life
Why offer only minimal information about your products when you can tell a much better story with descriptive product content and visuals? Buyers want to learn everything they can about your products, in a manner that is engaging and easy to understand. Invest in building a better product catalog by complementing your product descriptions and specifications with technical documents, 360-degree images, and even product videos. Robust product content gives buyers a wealth of information that will help them make more informed decisions.
Foolproof product content tips:
- Invest in better product photography that lets buyers zoom into a product image and provides multiple or 360-degree views
- Create video tutorials and demos that show the product in use and highlight its features
- Utilize a product content services company that can build up your product information assets
Publish better content
Above and beyond product content, your website should also provide a wealth of information about your industry as well as your company. Buyers like to be in the know, so help them by publishing whitepapers about new technology, industry trends or changing regulations. The more relevant information you offer, the more likely people will consider your site a valuable resource and will come back for more.
Foolproof marketing content tips:
- Publish a regular blog to keep site visitors engaged and informed
- Share customer success stories or testimonials
- Promote the human side of your organization by featuring employee bios or monthly messages from the CEO
- Address customer issues by suggesting product solutions and services that meet their needs and make their lives easier
Don’t let your website get lost in the sea of competition. By employing these online tactics, you’ll have a better chance of attracting more site visitors and converting those visits to conversions. Start by putting together a strategy today so you can start seeing results in the coming year.